Engineering from Home - Protecting Personal Assets

not do consulting from my home, however, various Architect/Designer friends
have asked me to do some consulting on some small engineering projects
(additions, custom homes, retaining walls).   I'm not sure whether I'll do
the projects because I have a few concerns regarding protecting my personal
assets (house, savings, 401k, etc.) from lawsuits if (heaven forbid) I get
named in a lawsuit (as in some lawsuits EVERYONE is named on a project).  I
realize no one is really fully protected from being sued, however is there a
way to limit liability and protect my personal assets?  I have heard that if
one incorporates oneself this helps protect personal assets but I'm not sure
what that entails.

Any info. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Michelle