Re: disappointed engineer

Have you had a better reaction since the quake?

Sometimes people just need a wake up call.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 3:13 AM
Subject: RE: disappointed engineer

Hi,

In India also, the situation is not good for structural engineers. Getting a job in structural engineering itself is very hard, unless you settle for a job giving less money. Actually nobody goes to a structural engineer or an arhitect for a designing a normal residential building. The construction of normal residential R.C.C structures is done by illiterate masons who build out of their experience. As far as multi-storeyed apartments are concerned, people do approach a structural engineer, but there too what a structural engineer earns is peanuts. Also how far the construction contractors follow the design given by the structural engineer is questionable. This is the reason why there were so many deaths in the 26-Jan-2001 Gujarat earthquake. People are ready to spend million bucks on construction, but get stingy to spend money on design. That's why buildings are just waiting for some natural calamities to raze them to ground.
 I am one such disappointed guy like you. Inspite of graduating in civil engineering and doing post graduation in structural engineering, I have shifted to Information technology field to make a living. But due to love for structural engineering, I spend my leisure time reading Civil engineering journals, browsing websites on civil engineering, writing computer programs in structural engineering and abreast of latest developments in civil engineering.

K.V.N.Ramesh,
Chennai.