RE: disappointed engineer

"Tomas, I'm afraid you're just in that awkward stage in your career called "the beginning". You don't have a lot of experience, and so your supervisors (and certainly the clients) aren't going to accord you a great deal of respect

In this regard, looking at the work, pay, and lifestyle that someone 4 or 5 years ahead of you in their career gets might be more instructive.  If you look down the road and like what you see, the wait could be worth it.  If you don't think those ahead of you are where you would want to be, it might not be.  Where I live (Seattle, WA) the pay is not as high as some engineering fields, but it is above average overall (compared to all careers) and is a reasonable career choice if you enjoy it.  If you don't enjoy it, even high pay is a difficult way of making up for spending 8 - 10 hours a day doing something you don't like.

Paul Crocker, P.E.