RE: effective length factor for sway moment

My copy of the Column Research Council's "Guide to Design Criteria for Metal
Compression Members", edited by Bruce G. Johnston, John Wiley & Sons, August
1967, presents the equations for K as a function of Ga and Gb for both
"sidesway prevented" and "sidesway not prevented" frames.  The equations are
such that the can be solved via spreadsheet or incorporated easily into a
computer program.  This reference also explains how the alignment charts
were developed in 1959 by L.S. Lawrence "for incorporation into the Boston
Building Code".

The alignment charts allow generalization to the solution of the 4th order
differential equation defining the elastic stability of a column for varying
degrees of rotational and translational restraints at the ends.  If you'd
like a nice math refresher (assuming you're a masochist), the standard
reference for derivation and solution of the DE is "Theory of Elastic
Stability", by Timoshenko and Gere, published by McGraw-Hill.  My copy is
the 2nd edition, dated 1961.

When included in new editions of the AISC code, recent work sponsored by
SSRC and AISC as presented in AISC's current "Bracing for Stability"
seminars will make changes in how we use the alignment charts to help assess
frame stability, but will not eliminate them as a useful design tool.

Hope this helps.

John W. Woollen, P.E.
Project Manager

Pegasus International, Inc.
PO Box 82209
Lafayette, LA 70598
Phone:		Direct (337) 314-8013, (337) 232-7777
Fax:		(337) 984-6188
Pager:		(337) 231-3246
Email:		jwoollen(--nospam--at)pegasus-international.com