RE: Engineering from Home - Protecting Perso

I think I will throw my hat in with Bill on this,  incorporation definitely
does provide additional protection of personal assets.  It does not protect
you from malpractice claims,  but that is just one part of the law.  A
corporation must act as a corporation, i.e.: it can't buy your groceries,
or else the corporate veil can be pierced.

This peeked my curiosity so I did a little searching on the web and found
the following Legal Web Site last night;

http://guide.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/

The stuff I could understand was listed under the subject of Legal
Documents,  searching under malpractice and professional corporations and
the like.

Interesting topics included the requirement in many states that a "qualified
professional" must first prove negligence on the part of the engineer prior
to filing a law suit. In order to reduce frivolous suits.

There is something similar in California. An associate was named in a suit
for a light standard that had failed due to a rusted base-plate column
connection which was then subjected to cantenary cable forces from flagging
on a car lot.  He had designed the foundation and had nothing to do with the
manufacture or maintenance of the light pole.  He was able to get his legal
fees paid by the plaintiff's attorney who had not hired a qualified
professional to prepare a report prior to naming him in the suit. To say
that the plaintiff's attorney was pissed would be an understatement,  he had
to pay for the original defense and the costs being of sued and experts and
all the other stuff attorneys heap on.

So sometimes there is a happy ending for us engineers.

Robert Shaffer, PE
Santa Cruz, CA

PS: Please add Steven Stills to the guitar virtuosos list.