Crane Column

I have a situation where a crane column is located directly below the crane
runway beam.
The crane column is tied intermittently to the building column in 3
locations equally
spaced within the height. The building column has the flanges running
parallel to the
crane runway beam and the crane column flanges running perpendicular to the
crane beam.
The question I have is what is a reasonable effective length of the crane
column in either
direction?  For trusses, the compression chord can be supported by the truss
webs
but are assisted because the oppposite chord is normally in tension.  In
this case
both "chords" are in compression?  If the columns brace each other, then
what would be
a reasonable horizontal force that would be imposed on each of the columns
that brace
each other?

Brian McDonald P.Eng