RE: Engineering from Home - Protecting Perso

Fountain,
Essentially, you are correct. The case was fought in California (Southern).
It is a perfect example of a conflict between two laws. I don't suppose that
this is unique as interpretations based on case law is fairly common and
changes the position on issues often.
In my opinion, the court's position was in direct opposition to the intent
of the building laws to protect against potential injury.
Since I am so much against the decision, I can understand how it was
justified in the courts, but I can lead you to the Structuralist.Net Public
forum where I and others present the full Supreme Court ruling. Seek out the
topic - HomeSafe Campaign - Aas vs. Williams Lyon Company.
I'd be interested in your opinions.

One problem is that if the California Supreme Court decision is appealed to
the Federal Supreme Court and upheld, it can have a tremendous impact on
construction quality all over the country as it establishes a precedence.

Let us know what you think.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Regi
ster

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link
begining at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces
between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: