RE: Crane Column

Here is how we would typically treat this situation...

For the crane column:
a) Column is assumed to be pinned at both ends (K=1).  This requires
longitudinal crane bracing.
b) Lx is whole length of column
c) Ly is maximum brace spacing. (1/3 of height sounds typical)
d) Lt could be = Ly but depends on the detail of the braces, etc. and how
much rotational support it provides.
e) Don't forget to add moment into the column for eccentric loads (crane on
one side of column)

For the main frame column:
a) conservative approach is to not count on the braces providing any extra
stability to the column.  I would not count on any weak axis support or
torsional support based upon the typical details used.  Strong Axis could be
argued either way but I prefer to not count it since the crane column does
not have significant stiffness in its weak-axis to brace the main frame
column.

Loads:
a) typically the lateral crane loads are taken into the main frame column
through a "tie" near the top of the runway beam or cap channel.  Gantrex has
proprietary ties, but many times we will use ties made from angles, etc.
AISC Design Guide #7 Industrial Buildings has good information regarding
ties... also an article by Jim Fisher was in Modern Steel Construction +-
1995.
b) auxilary crane column would be responsible for vertical loads, eccentric
moments, and any strut loads caused by the crane bracing.

A lot of times we would most likely use a 8" deep fab section as the lateral
braces.  Typically these would be heavier cranes if aux. crane columns are
req'd so for Class D or E you might need to refer to AISE Tech. Report #13.
Again, the AISC Design guide is a good source.

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E.