From: John P. Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 9:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Foundation on Expansive Clay

"My thinking is to turn down the outside edge of the footing an additional 6
inches.  If this clay is expansive, it shouldn't be given to capillary
action, and will provide a seal, preventing the soil beneath the foundation
from seeing the varying moisture content."

Is the expansive clay layer only 6" thick?  If this "turn-down" method is
effective in protecting the soil within the 6" zone, what about the soil
beneath IT?

My first inclination is to overexcavate and backfill.
John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com