Re: allowable hole in wide flanged beam

> What kind of references are available for designing holes through the web of a wide flange
> beams.  Should I just check a reduced section, and moment of inertia?  Is there any code
> references? Any help would be appreciated.
> Pat Clark, P.E.

Pat,

The reduced section should be checked, but you should use Fu instead of Fy.

In ASD:
If the net area of the flange times the allowable rupture stress is greater than the gross area of the flange times the allowable yield stress then you're good to go.  If not, you need to convert the net area to an equivalent gross area, re-calculate the moment of inertia, and use the new values for design.

There's a sample calculation for a bolted moment connection on pages 4-109 through 4-115.  The section of interest is step "A" on page 4-111.  I honestly don't know where the formulas used came from (it references spec section B2, but I couldn't find any help there).

LRFD:
Basically the same, but use LRFD.

The sample calculations for a bolted moment connection are on pages 10-9 through 10-16 (Volume II).  The section of interest is on page 10-12.

----
Jason W. Kilgore, P.E.
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com