From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 7:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: pre-engineered plan

D. A. wrote:

. > Hi

. > I have a client brought me a job already engineered (plans and
calculation
. > and details ) by anther engineer under 1994 ubc code
. > he asked me to do the calculation again using the  same plans
. > and the details using 97 ubc

. > I want to know if I can use the same plan because I do not think
. > I can change any of the beams and the layout of the floor joists
. > the only thing that he wants to change roof trusses to roof joists

. > the foundation is post tension which is existing
. > the other thing I can change the details

. > I like to other engineers opinion

. > Thanks in advance
. >  DA

Is copyright not a topic that generates a lot of discussion on this list?

Isn't unauthorized reuse of plans another topic that generates a lot of
discussion?

Where are the comments on this post addressing these two topics?

The first thing that I would do would be to contact the original engineer
and
find out if he/she has been "satisfied," i.e., paid, for his/her work.

The second thing I would do would be to ask the original engineer if he/she
has authorized his/her plans to be modified in certain areas.

If the answer to either of these questions is, "No," the third thing I would
do would be to tell the potential client to "take a hike!"

Something is amiss here!  Would it not be easier for the original engineer
modify his/her plans than have some other engineer do it?  Doesn't the
original engineer have the calculations, knows the load path, etc?  I have
known developers who have hired a prime professional to produce plans and
specifications for a development, and then cut the plans up and parcel out
parts of the project to other professionals to change.

When the potential client opens his/her mouth, do you smell bull s***?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona