RE: Aase ruling

Jason,
I agree - especially with your last comment below. This was my point when I
noted that the GC I mentioned had no experience in framing and in many of
his sub-contractors. If it were not for the fact that his Framer was
excellent, he could not complete the work at the same standard with a
younger less experienced Framer as he did not have the ability to train the
new guy.
Therefore, I too have worked with GC's who are doing high end homes who use
the worse framers which often results in poor quality of construction.

As to the first point below, this was one of the main reasons why I started
the Structuralist.Net - to offer the education to the public. While it will
not teach the layperson what to look for in Construction "technique", it
will inform the public of choices - including the choice to improve the
structural system of their home and to teach them how to determine if the
additional cost for full-compliance is an added value or an unnecessary
expense. There are areas of the country where homes can be designed and
constructed without engineers and architects. Low or no risk areas for
seismic zones, or adequate design methods to cover reasonable wind loads.
However, as we hear more and more reports of damage due to reduced quality
of construction, there may be fewer than more areas where prescriptive
construction proves adequate.

BTW, if you want to spend a little time addressing homeowners concerns
online in order to educate them then I invite you to review the Public
Discussion Forum on the Structuralist.Net and submit articles for posting on
topics that you are interested in "spreading the word" about. In time, maybe
homeowners will be able to demand better quality without having to be
penalized by rigid more costly codes that attempt to compensate for the
engineering industries failure to deal with the building industries strong
lobby (and visa versa).

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Regi
ster

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link
beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces
between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: