RE: Foundation on Expansive Clay

Fountain-
Bill Polhemus' suggestion of drilled piers was my first thought, too, and is
a good one.  But I would suggest a question you need to resolve first: what
is the magnitude of the expansive soil movement and does this really matter
with a horizontal bark blow line?  If it is on the order of an inch or two,
it may not be too significant and your conventional footings may work just
fine.

If the vertical movement is critical, you may want to consider drilled pipe
stanchions without the pier cap. Since the piers will extend below the zone
of seasonal moisture change, vertical movements can be limited to a very
small amount. In pouring the piers, you would want to form the tops with
Sonotubes to prevent the mushroom top near the ground surface.  This
eliminates the expansion force applied to the piers. In a previous life, I
did overland steam piping for the geothermal industry.  We used what we
called support stanchions as the pipe supports (supporting steam piping
ranging from 8" through 48" diameter) for the above ground piping collecting
steam from the well sites and conveying it to the steam power plants.  We
basically drilled piers and set a pipe stanchion in the pier.  The top was
then cut off to the final pipe grade (ranging from 3 to 5 feet above the
ground typical to over 35 feet in some cases) and a bearing bar (typically
3" pipe) was welded to the top of the pipe stanchion. This bearing pipe
allowed thermal movements to occur with guides provided to resist seismic
and wind loads.  The diameter of the stanchion can be increased for tall
supports (although there is economy in minimizing the number of different
pipe sizes used. We commonly had one size that would cover most of the
supports and a second size to accommodate the remainder) or connected to
make a frame (if two legs are used). At 20 feet tall, two legged bents may
make more sense.  We found this type of construction quite economical.  This
type of construction came out of the "oil patch" where they need to run pipe
overland to collect petroleum products and pipe them to a central facility.
There are some pretty ingenious folks in that industry.

WRT your item 2, if you use drilled piers and pipe stanchions, you have no
need for adjustment.

Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland  CA