Re: Foundation on Expansive Clay

Item 1.

Fossil power plants produce flyash as a byproduct. The
plants are eager to get rid of this product, which
means you can get it cheap. For the size of indicated
foundation, i.e. 7'X8'X3', loosen 2' depth of existing
soil below the bottom level of foundation. Mix 20% by
volume (1.25 cyd) of flyash thorougly with the
loosened soil, in place and proof roll for compaction.
Build your conventional foundation. Lime can be used
if it is comparatively less expensive than flyash.

Item 2

I did not quite understand the first alternative using
a sleeve. Are you planning to embed the sleeve in the
foundation? If so, how deep? What connection would you
have between the mast and the sleeve? If I were you, I
would go with the second alternative of base plates
etc.

Rajendran