RE: happy engineer

Exactly my sentiments. Sometimes I think we should have the opportunity to
try different majors in school, or different jobs until we find the one we
are happiest with. I was lucky enough to fail at or lose interest in many
fields before finding my niche - Architecture, Business (a family business
no less), Music (I was good, just not good enough) and finally Engineering.
When someone is so happy to leave a profession as I had on numerous
occasions, then your should rejoice in your decision as it is the right
thing to do. In time, I hope he will find what you, I and many others have
found - that one love that you simply can't walk away from.
As you so aptly put it - it's not a question of money but of satisfaction.

Regards,
Dennis