Re: COMMENTS REQUESTED: Weird Wood Sheathed "Shear Wall"

Bill,
I read your sketch. I shared the same concern of the force perpendicular to the
wall surface as others.
1. My next question is if this is a remodeling project. If so, can that bulkhead
be
demolished and build from scratch with one uniform material without trying to
patch or develope moment connections here and there. Not sure about the total
wall height and wall thickess for both materials, but by comparison, it seems
most cost effectively done this way in Western coast. Also, try to fit window
frame into
two different materials, seems generating headache.
2. If this were a brand new project, can that architect accept veneering below
the
window sills, that will make your life a lot easier, wont it.
Just 2 cents of thoughts.

I just finished fixing a project in this west coast, seismic zone 4 area. The
choice was limited. It was an eight inches masonry wall for about 120 feet long
with a number of large openings for overhead doors. There were 4 feet and six
feet panels full height in between those opening.  The original plans called for
double mats of reinforcement in those remaining masonry wall panels . The plans
noted this double mats of R/F in a couple of places. And special inspection was
also cited on the drawings. It was not until a second inspector found out that
the dbl mats were missing. At that time, the masonry wall was already built
above the roof diaphragm level. I was called upon to fix. My only solution to it
was to design full height huge steel column working as jambs to support all
those panels for their out of plane force. It looked a little bit ugly, but no
choice.

In your case, you probably have better ways to resolve. I hope you may share
your
ingeneous way to us after all.

Chris Tse
Sunnyvale, CA.