Q: OSB vs. Plywood

As some of you may know, we recently moved in to our new home. The roof and
floor decking, as well as the wall sheathing, were OSB.

I had assumed that OSB had its own tables available, similar to UBC Table
23-II-H or Tables 3.1A/B of NDS.

Since I'm updating my structural notes on the current project I'm working
on, I decided to acquaint myself with this topic a bit, and went to the
APA's website and downloaded several of their PDFs on this topic. I also
checked out the website at the Structural Board Association which appears to
be the trade industry group specific to OSB.

ToWell, it LOOKS like they have "performance standards" that in a roundabout
way, "compare" the structural capabilities of OSB with plywood, and that you
would still use the same panel grade designation, and the same shear values,
for OSB as for plywood.

Am I missing something here, or did I get that right?

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251