RE: Washers for A490 Bolts

>If the bolts are in shear, snug-tightened installation
>of A490s is often acceptable (pretension is often not required).
Over here on the dark side, the conventional wisdom (and my experience)
is that any joint which is not tightly clamped eventually works loose
because relative movment or vibration unscrews nuts. This may only be
true of machinery which tends to cycle, but I get very nervous when bolts
aren't preloaded.