RE: California PE Vs SE requirements

Hi Drew

I hope that I will not be known as being hard on folks without proper
engineering. You know to me the customer is King and  I will always go out
of my way to help.

Now regarding the books,

State board of engineers wanted us to turn in all these engineers to them.
As our job as a city is not to do that and its the board's job to ensure
that engineers keep up, we decided that instead of turning all these people
to the state we send them a copy of designs manuals for free to check it
out.

To qualify they had to have a job here and calculations have to substandard
for example if they use 0.007W as the base shear in our near source area ,
or if the front of calculations says based on the 1998 CA code but design
still uses the 1994 UBC or when I call them and they say they do not have
the 1998 CA code in their office  and have never seen it etc.

I have found that someone who is an engineer is really a very intelligent
person by nature and they either did not have time or got busy and the codes
pass them by some times. But once we share the information they bounce back
and employ the correct design philosophy right away. So as the experience
had shown that they do well after we remind them of new methodology  we
decided to supply the books rather than turn these folks in to the board.

You yourself and many other engineers have exhibited great knowledge in my
dealing with you and I have great respect for you and many other colleagues
, but my point was that there are some that do not keep up and if I have to
right my book after years of plan checking I will have to say that I have
seen engineers with PE who were  specializing in structural engineering to
be  just as good if not better than others. So I am not immediately
impressed if I see PE or SE I want to see the calculation and the
calculations alone I.E. I see the dirty laundry. I do not care who passed
what test when calculations is the current test that is in front of me
showing their knowledge and ability. Many cities counties  do not do check
schools or hospitals if the cities just higher PE's as plan checkers I will
be happy. The problem is that we have plan checkers that are not even
engineers and they call themselves plan check engineers and they might not
catch it if some one uses 0.007W as the base shear of a low period structure
located 1/2 km to the actual San Andreas fault?