The allowable Fb depends on load combinations.
Stresses due to local flange bending is also
important. You need to refer CMAA Publication 70.
--- Chic Gilligan <littlebuddy(--nospam--at)bytheshore.com> wrote:
> Looking for a practical approach for setting a limit
> on some existing
> hoists. Spans are in the 7' to 7'-6" range for an
> S6x12.5, with the crane
> capacity of 1 ton installed. Crane is hung from the
> bottom flange, so there
> is the tendency to self right itself against lateral
> buckling of the
> compression flange. Total rail length is about 20'
> with no actual bracing
> of the compression flange. Any thoughts on
> allowable Fb? Thanks.
> Chic Gilligan, PE
> Brielle, NJ
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org