RE: Steel corrosion

That's the point of my question.  The steel is 0.01" thicker than the
NOMINAL thickness, which is within the mill tolerances of 1951 (I have the
old specs).  If the steel had not been subjected to hydrochloric and
sulphuric (or sulphurous - I'm not a chemist) acid from the coal for 50
years I wouldn't be so curious.  I just find it hard to believe that all it
did was eat the paint away.

We used a needle-gun to clean the steel, which does a pretty good job of
removing extraneous material.  The excess material could be paint that
wasn't removed.  I didn't get too wild with needle-gun because the life
insurance money would just make my wife too damn happy (sparks + coal dust =
Hawaiian vacation for wife & new boy toy).  A field spectral analysis (it
was silver) of the cleaned areas indicated steel without paint.  That's why
I was curious about some chemical reaction that would make the paint take on
the physical appearance of the steel - a sort of "leeching".

Of course, as someone already said, the fabricator could have substituted
something a little thicker.

Jack Creviston, EIT