To: Bill Polhemus, Re: Steel corrosion

This is a multi-step process; 'sounds like you may not have paid attention
the individual steps properly.

1.  Coating selection -- I this a moist or corrosive environment?  Is
abrasion a problem?  Do you want a long-life system, or simply a cosmetic
treatment?

2.  Proper surface preparation is the key.  Without it, everything else
will be less-than satisfactory.  In your case, I think an SSPC-6 would be
appropriate.

3.  Assuming you have opted for long-term quality instead of something
temporary, I have assumed good surface preparation (see above), followed by
a multi-coat system.  I have also assumed a cyclical "caustic" situation,
followed by periods of  "acid" saturation.

I have also assumed you want something with a certain visual quality.  This
calls for a relatively impervious base with a "finer" top coat.

4.  With the requirements outlined, it would seem that the most appropriate
coating system would consist of a base coat of tar, followed by a topcoat
of feathers.  And, incorporating mobility considerations, I would recommend
provisions for being transported  "out of town" -- "on a rail" might be
appropriate   ;-)

Irrespectfully,

Fountain Conner