Structural Engineers in the News

Last Thursday in the San Jose Mercury News and on Friday in the San Francisco Chronicle, there were articles discussing the Storage Rack Issue that recently came up. Mr. Peter Higgins is quoted in the Mercury News Article.

One sad tale is in the Chronicle article where a women testified that her young daughter was killed when a rack failed and she was crushed to death, even though she was 20 feet away from the rack itself. The rack was overloaded, no earthquake. I know I'll be thinking when I'm in a Home Depot next time underneath the quickcrete pallets stored at the roof. Hey Peter, please tell me you did the racks at the Santa Clara Home Depot :)

Anyway, they are short but interesting articles and I just wanted to say good job to Peter for his efforts and his public comments so the average lay person is aware of the problem and how engineers are trying to fix them.

Hopefully they can be read on the newspapers websites.

-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680