From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 10:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Structural Engineers in the News

IIRC, there was a segment on one of the TV news magazine shows about the
hazards in warehouse type stores.  The hazard was not from earthquakes or
overloaded racks, but from high stacked, unstable storage, people being
permitted to use aisles where forklifts are retrieving items from the racks,

and forklifts dislodging high stacked items onto an adjacent aisle.

When I was in a warehouse type store not too long ago (I don't remember if
it
was a Costco or Home Depot), they closed off the aisle in which a forklift
was operating, but the adjacent aisles were open.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gerard Madden wrote:

. > Last Thursday in the San Jose Mercury News and on Friday in the San
. > Francisco Chronicle, there were articles discussing the Storage Rack
Issue
. > that recently came up. Mr. Peter Higgins is quoted in the Mercury News
. > Article.

. > One sad tale is in the Chronicle article where a women testified that
her
. > young daughter was killed when a rack failed and she was crushed to
death,
. > even though she was 20 feet away from the rack itself. The rack was
. > overloaded, no earthquake. I know I'll be thinking when I'm in a Home
. > Depot next time underneath the quickcrete pallets stored at the roof.
Hey
. > Peter, please tell me you did the racks at the Santa Clara Home Depot :)

. > Anyway, they are short but interesting articles and I just wanted to say

. > good job to Peter for his efforts and his public comments so the average

. > lay person is aware of the problem and how engineers are trying to fix
. > them.

Hopefully they can be read on the newspapers websites.