Re: ductility requirements for rebars

Dr. Chowdhury,

While we don't directly control elongation, we do worry about overstrength
(which typically translates into reduced elongation in the test specimen)
and require minimum ductility by calling for tensile strength at least 125%
of yield.  Here are City of Los Angeles special requirements as they
translate into general notes my office uses on structural design drawings
for all projects in areas of seismic risk:

2.  ALL REINFORCING STEEL SHALL MEET THE FOLLOWING SPECIAL DUCTILITY
REQUIREMENTS (UNO):

   a. ACTUAL TENSILE YIELD STRENGTH SHALL BE NO MORE THAN THIRTY PERCENT
(30%) GREATER THAN SPECIFIED.

   b. ACTUAL ULTIMATE TENSILE STRENGTH SHALL BE NO LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED AND
TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT (125%) OF ACTUAL TENSILE YIELD STRENGTH.

STEEL CERTIFIED AS ASTM A706 PER UBC STANDARD 26-4 MAY BE ASSUMED TO COMPLY
WITH THESE REQUIREMENTS.  OTHER GRADES AND TYPES OF STEEL SHALL BE DELIVERED
TO THE SITE WITH EITHER MILL CERTIFICATION OR REPORTS OF INDEPENDENT
LABORATORY TESTS VERIFYING COMPLIANCE.  SUCH CERTIFICATION OR TESTING SHALL
BE AT THE CONTRACTOR'S EXPENSE.

 3.  REINFORCEMENT DELIVERED TO THE SITE SHALL BE ACCOMPANIED BY APPROPRIATE
TESTING REPORTS AND CERTIFICATION, INCLUDING EVIDENCE OF CONFORMANCE WITH
SPECIAL DUCTILITY REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED ABOVE.

 4.  LACK OF CERTIFICATION OR INADEQUATE CERTIFICATION SHALL BE SUFFICIENT
CAUSE FOR REJECTION OF MATERIAL.  UNCERTIFIED OR INADEQUATELY CERTIFIED
MATERIAL SHALL NOT BE STORED AT THE SITE OR USED IN THE WORK AND IF
DELIVERED TO THE SITE SHALL BE IMMEDIATELY REMOVED.

 5. SUBJECT TO <my firm's> WRITTEN APPROVAL, REINFORCEMENT NOT MEETING THE
SPECIAL DUCTILITY REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED ABOVE (NOTE 2) MAY BE PERMITTED IN
LOCATIONS NOT SUBJECT TO YIELDING UNDER SEISMIC LOAD.

Hope that helps.

Drew A. Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates
Pasadena, California