RE: Oil-free Compressed Air

I think it depends on if you're using a little portable compressor or a
large one (fixed or trailer mounted).  Most industrial compressed air
systems will have a lubricator in-line.  Depending on the equipment being
run, it may be required to maintain the warranty (I worked as a *gasp*
mechanical engineer in material handling before seeing the light).  Most
large portable compressors will also.  Moisture will condense in the
compressor tanks, adding oil helps lubricate pneumatic equipment and
minimizes the affect of the water (rust).  Most units are a combination
filter/regulator/lubricator.  It looks sort of like a short inverted test
tube about 2" in diameter.  I'm sure you can go to a manufacturer's website
to get a look at one.  While you're at it, check out some compressor
manufacturers.  The technical data should include any information regarding
integral lubrication.  If the air is from an industrial (fixed) compressor
system be sure to follow the lines all the way back to the compressor -
there can be more than one lubricator in long runs of air lines.

Smaller compressors will give dry, oil-free air (as Bill said).  They are
generally used intermittently for shorter periods of time, so I assume the
lubrication requirements wouldn't be there ( as compared to a manufacturing
facility running equipment/tools 24 hours a day).

Jack Creviston, EIT