Gaps between plywood sheathing

Typically you install sheathing with a 1/8" gap between sheets to allow for some expansion, correct? If the sheets are supported by a 2x framing member, how do you get your edge distance for a 10d nail?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 12:16 PM
Subject: Investigating Welds

I received a call from a local production theater (plays and performances). The call was from their master carpenter who job includes evaluating the safety of the sets and mechanical platforms. He was concerned as there is a counter weight system of more than 50-kips which is used to lift sets, curtains and platforms. He is concerned only because of what he has read regarding problems with welds. He suggested I come in to help create a program where welded connection can be tested and verified. There are no noticeable problems, but he is doing this as a preventative measure to insure the safety of the people on stage and behind the scenes.

What is the standard I should follow to evaluate the welded connections that support the 50-kip counterweights? What percentage of welds should be checked? Should they be X-rayed, magnafluxed.....?

Dennis S. Wish, PE

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

The Structuralist is a Public, Professional and Educational website devoted to issues on Housing. You are invited to participate or simply visit our discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action="">

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link begining at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces between any of the letters or characters.

Our Residential Listservice is open to all professionals in the building industry and the discussions include code compliance issues as well as quality of construction, prescriptive vs. full compliance, present and future code development and more. The AEC-Residential List is by subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: