RE: Gaps between plywood sheathing

Section 6 (Revised November 1, 1948) of the DFPA (Douglas Fir Plywood
Association) Technical Data Handbook describes how the lateral bearing
strength of nailed plywood joints was developed.  It has curves so that
knowing the edge distances of the nails in the plywood and in the stud, the
ultimate capacity of the nail can be determined.  Tests were performed on
5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" plywood with 6d, 8d, 10d, and 16d common
nails.  It is only 7 pages long, and if APA would not object, I can provide a
copy to Dennis Wish for inclusion on his Structuralist web site.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

George Richards and Michael Bryson wrote:

. > The numbers do not add up and I have never seen anything in APA lit. to
. > address this issue.  Engineering Judgement.

. > George Richards, P. E.