RE: Gaps between plywood sheathing

Dennis:

I just grabbed the first APA publication in my timber file drawer, which is
the APA Product Guide for Performance Rated Panels.  This publication is a
January 1986 issue:

Under Panel Size and Spacing:

"Recommended spacings between panels are 1/8 inch at end joints and 1/4
inch at edge joints for APA RATED SHEATHING and 1/8 inch at both ends and
edges for APA RATED STURD-I-FLOOR, unless otherwise recommended by the
manufacturer."  (Capitol letters are as published. )

I know that my firm went through all the causes of the buckling problems
that we encountered in installed sheathing.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates