RE: Guitar

Just to add one comment (short):
There are many guitarists (as well as all other musicians) who are virtually
unknown but who you hear almost daily. These are the studio musicians who do
commercials, lead music for sitcoms, television shows, even those who
provide background music for movies (giving the conductor and score writer
all the credit). For example, the guitarist who is noted for the theme from
Northern Exposure is Laurence Juber (who also played with Paul McCartney and
Wings, John Williams, Rosemary Clooney, Alan Parsons, Cleo Laine etc.). Some
have made it somewhat more famous but will still be know best as a
"Guitarist's Guitarist" such as Ry Cooder and John Hammond Jr. (whose father
brought many of the historic Jazz Greatest to record and public attention).

To those who are serious technical players (not necessarily strummers and
singers), hearing talented musicians in different styles is always a treat.
When I first began (and 8-years old) and by the time I entered high school -
other players were the "competition". You learn to get past that and pay
credit were it is due (as we do with noted engineers). Hearing a talent
perform a new style is always exciting even if we still get envious:o)

Dennis