From: Caldwell, Stan <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: AISC Latest Move
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2001 5:21 PM

Dennis Wish recently wrote:

"While on the subject, AISC's latest move was (you may not realize)
monumental.  For those who did not know, they started to release some of
their documents for free download on their website.  When I see an
organization represent and support the design community, my first thought
is
"This is where I should be paying the money I put aside to support my
profession" and I am more apt to join that organization - you do something
nice for me and I'll show you my appreciation."

Dear Dennis:

Apparently, you have been spending too much time thinking about old
guitarists and science fiction novels, and have not been doing your usually
thorough job of monitoring organizational behavior.  AISC's latest moves
will probably not make you very happy.  They have recently started quietly
contacting the vendors of popular structural engineering design software
and
demanding a royalty for every copy sold/licensed, based on the inclusion of
their beloved section data.  Thus, you may soon be faced with a choice.
Buy
the data one time from AISC, and force-fit it yourself into your commercial
design software, or pay an upcharge to each of your software vendors
whenever you buy new or upgraded versions of their programs that continue
include the section data.  With that knowledge, has your appreciation of
AISC been altered?

Have a nice day!

Stan Caldwell in Dallas