Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 8:24 AM
Subject: RE: Signs of Spring

Wild Bill wrote:

I'm no herpetologist, but I do believe that is a good 'ol Cotton Mouth
Moccasin!

I was a bit leery about approaching him, because Cotton Mouths are a little
unique among the poisonous snakes, in that they are AGGRESSIVE!

Bill:

What you have there is a good old-fashioned Texas Water Moccasin (a.k.a., Cottonmouth), albeit a fairly puny one.  Mama's down in the creek, and she will really impress you when she eventually visits!  Perhaps you could send one of your kids down into the creek to invite her.

I also live on a creek (a big, spring-fed one), and used to own lake property, so I've got a bit of experience with these critters.  Killing them is an annual neighborhood tradition.  On the other side of the creek is a PGA touring pro.  He and I are the designated snake killers on our stretch of the creek.  I normally use a long-handled shovel, but he prefers a sand wedge.  On dry land, these snakes are pretty slow and awkward, and can be decapitated fairly easily.  In the water, however, they clearly have the advantage.  One day a few years ago, I heard a rukus out back and found a drunken neighbor from upstream carelessly pursuing a six-foot cottonmouth down the creek in about a foot of water.  He was wearing a swimming suit and flip-flops, and his only weapon was one of those metal realtor's signs (which he apparently thought would make an excellent guillotine).  Now this can be a dangerous practice, because you can die if the snake strikes first!  First we talked him out of the creek, then we lured the snake out of the creek, then we killed him (the snake, not the neighbor) in our traditional fashion.

Regards,

Stan Caldwell in Dallas

The only good snake,
is a dead snake!