Re: AISC

>I'm gathering the facts to respond to the allegations made regarding the
>AISC shapes database.
Seems like there are two points that should clear this up. (BTW, I'm
agnostic on the side of the AISC in all this. I've seen a lot of it with
the ASME Code.) First, if the AISC has paid for the work that goes into
the tables, they can say who uses the information. And regardless of
where it came from, I think the work of the AISC is worthwhile enough
that it needs to be supported financially--if software developers are
making money by pasting AISC Code provisions in their software, they owe
the AISC something. I don't live on altruism and pure intentions and I
don't believe the AISC should either. (Leaving out my ambivalence about
LRFD for the time being ;->)

Of course like many I also pray daily that Code books, computer software
and technical specifications will someday grow on trees, and not just
every tree, but trees that are hardy enough to grow in my yard and grow
damn fast at that. So what do you do?