RE: AISC Latest Move

Charlie,

I thank AISC for getting advisories of changed design information out in a
timely manner. I was unaware that the rolling mills had modified the k
dimensions.

>From time-to-time mills need to make changes to provide a better product and
compete. The design community has no other way of knowing when changes are
made, unless AISC releases information.

Years ago, the mills would provide the information (including
manuals)directly to the design community. This practice stopped when
Competition from off-shore producers became intense and domestic mills cut
cost to compete. AISC allows all the mills to share the design information
expense.

I do not know the cost of producing the AISC Manual and do not have any idea
what AISC's profit is. But, the cost seems reasonable considering the
content. It seems that each professional organization (ACI, AISC, ASCE, AWS,
CRSI, ICC, ICBO, BOCA, PCA, and others) make a profit from the sale of
publications. Code wise, it was not a big problem when the material codes
were published in the Building Code. Now structural engineers must fund a
continuing annual expense to keep our design publications up to date.

I think some engineers are finally getting angry. Lets hope that the anger
will not be demonstrated by pugnacious and demeaning behavior.

Bill Scott, P.E., S.E.
Principal Engineer
VECO Alaska, Inc.
949 E. 36th Street