RE: AISC

I think it goes beyond who created the database.  If I wanted people to use
the material I was promoting I would help them design it easily.  It is like
I mentioned a couple e-mails back, bar joist load tables are free, steel
deck load tables are free, steel stud and joist load tables - design
properties are free, wood I-joist design guides are free, and everybody
knows how to calculate wood section properties and reinforcement areas.

I am perfectly willing to buy a finite element modeling program that does
code checking with the cost of the database hidden in the price.  It just
seems that it would be useful in promoting steel design if the section
properties were free. Like the other dude said anyone who wants to spend a
day can type them in, but there will probably be a couple dozen errors.  I
have more time than money.

If I get gouged an extra $200 when I pay my RISA maintenance agreement this
fall I now know where to complain to.

Respectfully,

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer