Re: AISC

Scott

You're kind of mixing things here a little.  There is a difference
between a trade organization AISC, ASCE, ASTM, APA, AITC, ACI, SDI, SJI
ad nausium (sp?), and manufacturers, Trusjoist McMillan, Vulcraft,
Verco, Simpson that latin word above.  The manufacturer's will give
their literature away so that we will specifiy thier product and they
make thier money that way.  The associations only make money by selling
thier information.  SDI and SJI manuals are not free.  Some support to
underwrite the costs of publication may come from the associated
manufacturers but not all.  AISC, for example, used to receive
considerable support from the steel mills but due to the global economy
and the large amount of foreign steel that support is greatly
diminished.  Therefore, we the users of the end product need to pick up
the costs formerly covered by industry.

Of course, now that the IBC has included the various materials by
reference and then modified various sections to suit thier own ideas of
what is best, we the designers and plan reviewers must expend more funds
to buy the IBC plus all of the referenced manuals.  Then we have to
spend the extra time to annotate the manuals.

Maybe Chicago have the right idea - pick a code and stay with it - kind
of the Alaskan way - We don't care how they do it out side.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.