Re: AISC Latest Move

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] I agree that offering the code is a step in the right direction. I also think the collection of data in the steel manual is worth spending money for. However, the idea of AISC collecting royalties from software companies and prohibiting others from using an electronic file of the section properties seems a bit extreme. I believe we as a group can circumvent their efforts....

The way I understand it, AISC says the info is proprietary as they've collected raw data from the mills and created these tables based on the info supplied. When the first steel manual was published, and even 25 years ago this was a monumental task and I understand them wanting compensated for their efforts. However, with today's technology, the process of inputting data, comparing, making logical decisions as required to document a "useable" t, k, d and other properties, and manipulating that data into an easily used format, is less complicated than some of the creative efforts I've seen from people like Scott Haan. Scott, you've done a wonderful job with your spreadsheets, and while the creation of an appropriate database for section properties will take alot of work, I don't think it would be as mentally taxing as what it took to design the spreadsheets you've graciously shared. If AISC follows through with idea of collecting royalties from people who try to use the data in electronic media, we as a group can create a comparable database and make it public. Whether it takes someone like SEA to organize it or just a few people here to take the leadership, the data can be collected from the mills, and if it's electronic, the input is easy. If it's in a paper format, the paper can be scanned, OCRed, then imported. The conditional statements can be created and the appropriate properties calculated. I wouldn't expect it to be done overnight, but depending on how much volunteer time can be drummed up, and that's dependent on how upset people really are, the work can be done. If it's spread out among several people doing various tasks, I don't think it would that monumental for any one person.... And what better way to contribute to our peers than working together to make our basic tasks easier. Isn't that what technology is supposed to do? Make our life easier? Of course it would be best if AISC would just make an electronic format of the section properties available for use and incorporation into other software.

Steve Privett

Haan, Scott M. wrote:

Charlie:

I think offering the code is a step in the right direction. However designers are still going to have to buy a manual if they want to see section properties, use beam tables, column tables ect.... It would be nice if the "steel guys" could give design information out for free. <SNIP>