Re: Joist Bearing Depth

I believe they can do it.  Call Vulcraft in Brigham City, Utah, to be sure.

>>> <CanitzCF(--nospam--at)aol.com> 04/20 6:14 PM >>>
The standard bearing depth for a K-Series joist is 2 1/2". I have an
alterations project which includes new joists supported at one end by new
steel beams and supported at the other end by existing beams. The new beams
will be elevated so that the 2 1/2" bearing depth will be achieved. A 3 5/8"
bearing depth is required at the existing beams. Do the joist manufacturers
allow this option or is it more economical to add a member atop the existing
member?

TIA,
Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD