Re: Guitar / Very Old Timber Trusses

It seems some other people recognized the Chili Peppers' guitarist, but not
Greg Ginn.  Kind of a personal favorite, and not really what you would call a
technically proficient guitarist.  But the guy plays like a crazed madman - a
lot of raw energy.  Played with Black Flag, wrote a lot of their stuff.  I
guess I should've expected that there wouldn't be too many early '80's
hardcore punk fans on this list...

Anyway, I have some general questions on wood design:
What are reasonable design values to use for analyzing 150+ year old timber
truss members (bending, compression, tension, shear, etc.)?  Is there any way
to determine these values through non-destructive testing (besides visual
inspection - I am not familiar with visual grading rules for wood, especially
wood this ancient)?  Member sizes range from 6x7 to 8x15 and have had
extensive steel reinforcing plates / channels / rods thru-bolted to them over
the ages.  These trusses are spaced at roughly 8'-0 on center, span 62', and
are essentially A-frames, with some vertical and diagonal web members.  The
building is a theater and the trusses support the roof, the rigging lines for
the scenery, the fly gallery on one side, and another catwalk on the other
side.  Any comments / recommendations would be much appreciated, unless of
course they are along the lines of, "Run away now before you have a historical
society, an insurance company, and a city building inspector putting you on
speed dial!", in which case I would say, "where's the challenge in that?"

Mark Nowmos