Re: Investigating Welds

Dennis,

I hope this reply is not too late. I just got to read the posts.

It would be premature to jump to inspection immediately.

First, the structure should be studied and checked for adequacy. The
critical areas should be identified. Many components may have sufficient
reserve, and the connections could also have significant reserve
strength. Many designs would contain elements of higher capacity
provided from stiffness or deflection requirements or ease of
procurement / fabrication / detailing considerations. This part is to be
done by the structural engineer.

The structure and each connection should be visually examined next. This
part is to be done jointly by the structural engineer and a qualified
inspector. If the noncritical joints pass the visual examination,
nothing more may be required for those joints. (Noncritical joints can
be defined as those with a theoretical strength about twice the design
requirement).

Critical joints (those stressed to 80% or more of design strength)
should be checked for surface cracks by Magnetic Particle or Dye
Penetrant examination, and for interior defects by ultrasonic
examination. This should be done by a qualified inspector.

Balance (intermediate level stress) joints could be inspected only for
surface defects by MPI or DP. If defects are found, ultrasonic
examination should be conducted to determine the extent of defect.

Any remedial action should be planned carefully, considering the state
of stress in the element at the time of repair.

Hope this helps.

M. Hariharan.