DSA & EOR's stamp

James,

Signing drawings from specialty suppliers is a fact of life for the EOR in CA for schools, you could have designed the system yourself and not used the prefab space truss.

As noted in an earlier email, with was discussed at length in late 98 and you will get alot of comments from those who have not worked on CA School projects and the DSA saying do not sign.  But it is a DSA requirement and if you do not sign the truss drawings, the job stops.  You just have to do whatever you need to do, to verify everything to your satisfaction.

If this includes more information from manufacturer, then require that additional information.  I provide structural calcs for skylight structures, not the 4x8 bubble, but the 20 foot by 60 foot shed or pyramid of all sizes, and we provide enough information in calcs and analysis to satisfy the EOR.

You can choose to "flat out refuse", but you will most likely be removed from this project (read your rfp info carefully), and may not get another from this client.  If you read the licensing information closely it does not say you cannot stamp and sign work by others, it just indicates the responsible party, do the work that enables you to perform the DSA requirement.

This is not a new requirement, the EORs have been doing it for a long time, remember your choosing a prefab component does not make any difference to the DSA, it just made your work simpler.  It is just like using computer software and claiming that the software made the mistake and it is not your fault, instead of the software you would always analyze it by hand.

Williston "Bill" L. Warren, IV - S.E.
Structural Engineering SOLutions
Newport Beach, California

>From: "JHilzman" <jhilzman(--nospam--at)steel-tech-na.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Re: DSA & EOR's stamp

James,
Just flat out refuse to do it !  Maybe a legal letter from your attorney and
insurance carrier should be forthcoming after you JUST REFUSED TO DO IT !
Don't start down that path - before you know it they'll be demanding
massages !!!

John Hilzman, CEO
STEEL TECH N.A. INC.