From: Charlie Carter [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 5:48 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: AISC II (the facts)

The facts I've been able to gather so far are as follows:

Our (AISC's) IT folks contacted Gus Bergsma at RAM International to have an open discussion with him about royalty issues, software and the AISC Shapes Database, among other issues, in preparation for an AISC-sponsored software developers meeting at the upcoming AISC North American Steel Construction Conference (you can still register to attend at http://www.aisc.org). The subject is on the agenda for discussion at that meeting. A related item for discussion is what other services AISC can provide to software developers that will make their software better.

Do I guess correctly, Stan, that Gus or one of his colleages is who challenged you to find a way to create the AISC Shapes Database without relying upon information that at some point in time was created and copyrighted by AISC? As I enumerated in a previous post the last time the AISC Shapes Database came up, there's a lot of "stuff" that goes into the information that seems to be taken for granted.

In any case, the above discussion is part of a bigger-picture discussion about more appropriate information distribution and income generation models for AISC. As an example (focusing back in on the AISC Shapes Database, since it started this), it may soon come to be that the AISC Shapes Database will be:

1. Included free (one copy) with each AISC Manual purchased
2. Available for purchase separately from the Manual, if desired
3. Licensed to software developers for a royalty

Before you get too excited about #3, the percentage royalty being bandied (spelling?) about is less than 1 percent of the selling price of the software, with a maximum dollar figure in the neighborhood of $10. Those are just musings, though at this point, so it may come down differently or not at all.

Going back to the bigger picture, it may soon come to pass that the only cost you will have to bear for all the technical information we develop at AISC is a membership in AISC. That's my idea about how to offer more value to more people, while still breaking even as all non-profits that want to stay in business must do. Even still in that system, I suspect an alternative would be maintained where you could still choose to buy item by item if you preferred.

I'd be interested in having some feedback on how this kind of a model would be received.

Charlie