To: "INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: AISC Latest Move - Different View Point
From: Peter Higgins <76573.2107(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:02:09 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
AISC can copyright the steel manual and the codes and standards. They can
probably also copyright the format in which the data is presented, as long
as it is not the only possible format, but they cannot copyright the member
dimension data itself.
You can also add that even the data AISC uses are derivative from ASTM A6.
All of the major member dimensions are set by this standard. It is also
copyright, but by ASTM.
The question arises: If AISC is charging for use of these data, are they
rebating ASTM for the portion belonging to them?
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org