From: Jones, Mark A [mailto:Mark.A.Jones(--nospam--at)jacobs.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 2:07 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: AISC Latest Move

Part 2:
   A data file with the required steel information could be made available for free download for those who own the books.  For example, I have software to support a hobby.  The software requires proprietary information from manufacturers.  Originally, Software Developer "A" included the data files with the program.  Manufacture "B" objected, claiming unauthorized distribution.  Solution: Hobbyist "C" and registered user of the software and owner of the books, recompiled the data files from the books he owns.  "C" has now made the data files available for download via public websites for those people who certify that they own the books.  Since I, as owner of the books, have the right to make copies, both paper, electronic and otherwise, of the information for my use, I have a right to these data files.  The fact that I had someone else make the copy does not abrogate my right.  This would be like "B" claiming that I do not have the right to photocopy a page from their manual because I had Kinko's copy the page for me from my book.

Charlie,
   I do not wish to pick a fight with AISC.  However, I feel that AISC's viewpoint of the "Dimensions and Properties" table is hurting them.  I bought the books and I have a right to use and copy that information.  Further, it would seem in AISC's best interest to want this information as widely used as possible.  I am not saying that AISC should not have copyright of their books merely that they should allow the "Dimensions and Properties" to be publicly available.

I suggest that AISC's stance on this issue is costing them money.  Obviously, there are people who do not join AISC because of this issue, at least in part.  I don't know how many registered licensees of the computer database are out there. However, I would suggest that the number of non-joiners is comparable to the number of registered licensees of the database.  Given that the cost of a year's membership is about 3 times more than the cost of the database, AISC loses more money from the "non-joiners" than it makes from the licensees of the database.

OTOH, I will defend AISC's cost when it comes to the strength/load tables/diagrams.  They have a proprietary right to these as they "created" this information and it is their "product".  Further, I would say that the cost of the manuals is somewhat reasonable given the amount of information in them.  I don't object to AISC's charge for the books.  I object to them charging me extra, directly or indirectly, for access to the same information for which I have paid.

Mark Jones