RE: AISC Latest Move - Different View Point

Title: RE: AISC Latest Move - Different View Point

>Would it be legal for me
>to type all the AISC info
>into my own spreadsheet?

>Would it be legal
>for me to give that
>spreadsheet to a
>colleague?

Lawyers are funny.

It seems if I ask the question from the "AISC viewpoint", they say most definitely that AISC can enforce its copyright on the AISC Shapes Database. They further comment that the applicable legal points are clearly available in a legal case that centered around someone taking and using data from the phone book.

However, if I ask the question from the "anti-AISC viewpoint", they say most definitely that AISC cannot. And then they further comment that the applicable legal points are clearly available in a legal case that centered around someone taking and using data from the phone book.

So in the end, I don't know how to answer your questions. If you typed it in for your own use only, it would seem to me that you have not harmed anyone. Although I would wonder what value you place on your own time given that that significant effort saved you about $60. If you then gave it to someone else, you'd be pushing closer to the real contentious issue, which is the re-sale of the data that was purchased from AISC.

However, let's not go there in this if we don't have to. Personally, I'm trying to push this away from the conflict that it has come to be with the ideas I floated for feedback. Thanks to those who have responded so far. Strangely, that message and another one I sent posted twice as far as I can tell. Not sure why.

>even the data AISC uses are derivative from ASTM A6.
>All of the major member dimensions are set by this
>standard. It is also copyright, but by ASTM.

Not to quibble, given what I just said above, but AISC provides that data to ASTM for their use in compiling the information that is in ASTM A6/A6M.

Charlie