Re: AISC Latest Move - Different View Point

Title: RE: AISC Latest Move - Different View Point

"If you typed it in for your own use only, it would seem to me that you have not harmed anyone.  Although I would wonder what value you place on your own time given that that significant effort saved you about $60.  If you then gave it to someone else, you'd be pushing closer to the real contentious issue, which is the re-sale of the data that was purchased from AISC."

I'm a sole proprietor and have no employees.  I have always been one of the quickest to purchase software and design aids, because in order for me to compete with larger shops, I have to do a few things faster . . . that means minimizing hand calcs.  So several years ago, I entered much of the steel data into a spreadsheet/data base; it was not available electronically as far as I know.  Since then, I've saved considerable time by using a beam analysis spreadsheet that I designed myself, for simple span, laterally braced beams.  But the most VALUE is in the accuracy and the number of things effortlessly checked (eg: deflection, bearing, shear, moment) with a simple cut-and-paste operation.

So how do I save $60 by purchasing something I've already got?

And then, how can GIVING something to someone be construed as RESALE?

John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com