RE: DSA & EOR's stamp

During the 80's when we looked at a steel building  some cities required
that one engineer shall assume the responsibility of the engineer of record
for the entire structure. The steel building was designed and  manufactured
out of town and shipped by the supplier and a local engineer designed the
foundation system  for it. Butler , Soule , Varco pruden are some of these
companies that manufacture steel buildings.

The foundation design engineer typically designed the foundations for all
the reactions from the steel design calculations. They were then asked that
one of them I.e.  either the foundation design engineer or the steel design
engineer must sign the entire document and assume to be the engineer of
record.

I believe this was a reaction to the Kansas city failure , that some how
made people deduce that there was  a need for one engineer to be aware of
what's going on and be in overall responsible charge.

Later on in the 90's the board of professional engineers made a statement
that there is no need for one engineer to sign the entire job and individual
engineer can sign parts of the job and be responsible for that portion that
they signed, This holds until today.

A good practice as you said is to have the engineer of record sign the truss
calculations or the  steel components plans etc.. saying " reviewed and no
exception taken"

This way the engineer of record will examine the shop drawings and make sure
that all drag trusses have the correct drag loads  etc... This is to check
for conformance with his/her basic design and we try to  practice this today
on non DSA jobs I.e. we ask for shop drawing stamp.  As for the DSA as Bill
said DSA rules have to be adhered to by the reason that the plans and
calculations have to be approved under the DSA  rules.