So as long as you are clamping by use of pre-tension or other gripping method, you are okay as long as you neglect the dead weight of the mass you're trying to stabilize when determining the level of resistance.

Hope that helps,
-Gerard

>>> rlabbe(--nospam--at)ctcinternet.cl 04/24/01 08:36PM >>>
Thanks for your information. It's very clear.
Anyway I don't see any reference to a specific
code dealing with this.

Raul Labbé

    -----Mensaje original-----
    De: Mike Valley <mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com>
    Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
    Fecha: Martes, 24 de Abril de 2001 11:51 a.m.
    Asunto: RE: Earthquake counteracted by friction?

    U.S. practice does not permit the use of seismic resistance based on friction resulting from gravity loads.  However, friction resulting from structural action (preloaded bolts, for instance) is permitted to be considered when calculating seismic resistance.

    Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                       E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com