RE: Earthquake counteracted by friction?

Of course it helps. Thanks a lot.

Raul Labbé

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Gerard Madden <GMadden(--nospam--at)mplusl.com>
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Fecha: Martes, 24 de Abril de 2001 06:44 p.m.
Asunto: RE: Earthquake counteracted by friction?

UBC Section 1632.1, 2nd Paragraph

" Attachments shall include anchorages and required bracing. FRICTION
RESULTING FROM GRAVITY LOADS SHALL NOT BE CONSIDERED TO PROVIDE RESISTANCE
TO SEISMIC FORCES".

So as long as you are clamping by use of pre-tension or other gripping
method, you are okay as long as you neglect the dead weight of the mass
you're trying to stabilize when determining the level of resistance.

Hope that helps,
-Gerard

>>> rlabbe(--nospam--at)ctcinternet.cl 04/24/01 08:36PM >>>
Thanks for your information. It's very clear.
Anyway I don't see any reference to a specific
code dealing with this.

Raul Labbé