RE: Steel Designations

Could it be cold-formed sections, one with a typo?  The 1996 AISI designates a C-section without lips as CU, and a C-section with lips as CS (maybe 'CB' is really 'CS').  Perhaps 20 is not really 20mm, but 0.20mm (which is how the light-gage thicknesses are noted in the 1996 AISI).

Frank
-----Original Message-----
From: Dusit Roongsang [mailto:RoongsangDX(--nospam--at)c-b.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 11:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel Designations

It may be the steel grade. (a wild guess)
I suggest looking at the "General Notes" if provided. It may have definition for CU and CB. I'm familiar with SHS (square hollow section), RHS (rectangular hollow section) and CHS(circular hollow section).

One additional comment, 20mm thick section seem a bit thick to me.
The thickest that I have ever call out is 12mm hollow sections.

>>> DWILLIAMSSEI(--nospam--at)aol.com 04/25/01 09:21AM >>>
I was going to suggest the same.  The designations look suspiciously like
metric hollow sections, however in the U.S., the numbers would be preceded by
"HSS".  I don't have a clue what the "CU" and "CB" are referring to.

David Williams, PE
Snyder Engineering
Columbia, MO